Composed a quick verse with Matt and Judah.
My 50 favorite songs of the year — ordered by tempo and vibe — not necessarily FROM 2017, just heard by me in 2017
- Selena Gomez (They’re great, but “Fetish” and “Bad Liar” didn’t break through for me. Sorry Selene Queen)
- the entire genre of hip-hop (there’s plenty throughout the monthly playlists, but less represented here)
- Kero Kero Bonito (I’m not vibing on their latest stuff and keep coasting on the old)
- Hitchhiker (C’mon where are you, silver spaceman)
- Ghosted, “Get Some” – raunchy electro pop, slinky and funky; some gets gotten.
- TYSM, “Wraith” – sad bedroom glitch-pleas over delicate plinks and plonks.
- BROCKHAMPTON, “SUNNY” – this smile says “good morning: don’t fuck with us.”
- Aryay, “Always Wanted You (ft. Kimbra)” – a beat of bullhorn shrieks tempered by sultry coos.
- Tove Styrke, “Mistakes” – this song has eight different catchy melodies; all Tove’s wobbly lilt.
It was really difficult for me to type out 2017 across the course of creating this playlist and post and cover art given that we’re more than halfway through January. Just one more to go for the year. The best-of is coming up. It’s in the pipeline. Sliding down the artery. Soggy, slow glop. Get ready.
Oh you thought that was it, huh? You thought October was the end of the line? That ya boy couldn’t post three months in one day?? I’m proving everyone wrong, least of all myself.
This is a pretty quick one but it features some sweet highlights, and I do mean sweet– “Let You Down” and “Feels Great” are both sugary sing-alongs meant to get a fist pumping. Fetty Wap! He’s there! Kehlani’s “Touch” is sensual and driving but a total earworm at the same time. Don’t you love it when these dirty-ish songs get stuck in your head? And “Burn Out” will do just that to your shoes, you gonna be bouncing so hard on the dance floor.
Get them all in your face and out of mine. Here’s a spoooo~oooky playlist because it’s, like, frightening how dank I am at curating tunes. And also terrifying in its delay.
Some suh-LICK pop at the top with the DROELOE remix of Charli’s “Boys,” then Tove Stryke’s “Mistakes,” and “Take Me” by Aly & AJ. The songs by Elohim and (the ever-present) Terror Jr that immediately follow are no slouches either. They all might make it to my Best of 2017 list… Which you’ll undoubtedly receive in July.
There’s some light-hearted hip-hop coming up in the middle and then some bouncy EDM punchfests near the end. October has it all. I’m shrieking.
Really quick and simple for ol’ Stephen, as we all call this month. No Terror Jr. on this one, but rap-forum collective Brockhampton kick it off with a rise-and-shine welcome and Trippy Turtle’s EP makes up the meat. Mmmmm, turtle meat.
What is dead may never die; just rage harder and swaggier
I’ve been keeping my playlists running. Just not posting. For fear of upsetting you with their danklitude. So… More to come. Need to make art for the latest ones.
Highlights are Fat Tony with his re-work of The Cure’s “Close To Me” and then Isaac Lee with some slinky slammin’ synths. And, staying remarkably consistent with their month-to-month inclusion, Terror Jr continues the streak!